Friday, July 9, 2010

Flashback Friday Medical Memories

Were you prone to accidents and injuries when you were growing up? Did you ever break a bone? Knock out any teeth? Get stitches? Have you ever ridden in the back of an ambulance? Did you ever have surgery or spend any time in a hospital? How did your folks treat injuries and illnesses? With lots of TLC or by telling you to get a stiff upper lip? Was there a particular home remedy that your mom (or dad or whoever!) used or any "traditions" involving injuries or illnesses? What's the worst injury (or illness) you had when you were growing up?

I was not an accident-prone kid.  For the first 15 years of my life, I was an only child.  I was more content indoors with a good book!

spray_new I remember minor little accidents when I was little – always treated with some Bactine and/or a band-aid. (I was surprised when I looked up Bactine for a picture that it’s still very much available.  Not sure how I miss it in the stores.  We’re more into Neosporin around here these days.)

Once, when I was in the 5th  grade, we were doing a project in art class that required us to cut shapes out of cardboard boxes using razor knives.  Looking back on that experience, I can’t imagine supplying 5th grade students with razor knives – I’m sure they’re not even allowed in schools these days.  I’d never give one to Gracie to use, that’s for sure.  Anyway, being the leftie that I am, I was apparently cutting toward myself, rather than away; and I sliced right through my right wrist.  I was immediately rushed to the boys’ bathroom (the closest) for cleansing, and was taken downstairs to the janitor (talk about small town USA!) who called my grandparents. I remember sitting there waiting, trying not to panic at the amount of blood.  I begged my Pap to take me to my mom (who was at work in a nursing home about 1/2 an hour away). 

I should have had stitches, but I cried and begged my mom not to – so she fixed me up with some “butterfly” bandages.  I still have a scar.  Oh well. 

I’ve never had stitches (except for after giving birth to Ashley and after my tubal pregnancy surgery – both were the kind that dissolve on their own – thank God!)  I’ve never had a broken bone.  Good thing too because, truth be told, I’m rather a wimp! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails