Monday, August 23, 2010

The Bible in 90 Days #43-49

Days 43 & 44 – Continuing through the book of Psalms (will finish it tomorrow).  The neatest thing is that we have tickets to go and see Psalms of David at Sight & Sound this afternoon (8/11/10). 

I’m also excited to report that as of today’s reading, I am now officially 1/2 way through my Bible, using the 90 Day schedule!  Yippee!!!  This has been GREAT!

Day 45 & Day 46 – We’re now in the book of Proverbs.  I’m trying to mark as I read – the verses that I’ve committed to memory over the yeras.  The Proverbs are easy to memorize and are great little verses to carry with you.  Some of  them were memorized to songs, some to rhythms; and others were just memorized “as is” – but they remain.  I’d encourage you, if you’ve never memorized any Proverbs, to commit to memorizing some of your favorites – or at least to mark them as you’re reading through the book.

Day 47 – Today we finished up Proverbs and started on Ecclesiastes.  I always love the reminder at the end of Proverbs about “the wife of noble character”.  So much to aspire to is these verses.  I feel like I’ve still got a long way to go to even compare to her. 

I read through the end of chapter 3 in Ecclesiastes today (even though the schedule said to stop before this section).  I love the reminders at the beginning of this chapter:

1 There is a time for everything,
       and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
       a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
       a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
      a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
       a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
       a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
       a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
       a time for war and a time for peace.
(emphasis mine)

In my life, I’m trying to get past the time of weeping and mourning, and work toward the laughter and the dancing.  That is so where I want to be!  And the reference to keeping and throwing away reminds me of my desire to simplify and declutter.

Day 48 – Wow.  The beginning of Ecclesiastes chapter 4 really spoke to me about Sue today:

1 Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:
       I saw the tears of the oppressed—
       and they have no comforter;
       power was on the side of their oppressors—
       and they have no comforter.

2 And I declared that the dead,
       who had already died,
       are happier than the living,
       who are still alive.

I know that she’s in a better place and is so much better off than I am right now!  She doesn’t have to see the problems that the world is facing, the pain, the sorrow – she only experiences the good because she’s in the presence of God!

But then, I read a little further in this chapter and see these verses which also remind me of Sue and how much I miss having her here with me.  Guess that’s just selfish.

7 Again I saw something meaningless under the sun:

8 There was a man all alone;
       he had neither son nor brother.
       There was no end to his toil,
       yet his eyes were not content with his wealth.
       "For whom am I toiling," he asked,
       "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?"
       This too is meaningless—
       a miserable business!

9 Two are better than one,
       because they have a good return for their work:

10 If one falls down,
       his friend can help him up.
       But pity the man who falls
       and has no one to help him up!

12 Though one may be overpowered,
       two can defend themselves.
       A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Day 49 – Starting into Isaiah today and this is what is on my mind:

At the Christian school I attended, we sang this song many times as part of our annual spring concerts.  Can you imagine little kindergarten kids singing this song?  They did!

To read other’s experiences and thoughts on the Bible in 90 Days, check out Mom’s Toolbox.

3 comments:

Debra said...

Oh, the Messiah link is so perfect! We're not quite there. Hoping to finish Eccl. today, and I think I'm going to do Song of Solomon tonight sans kids. That means Isaiah tomorrow. I love Isaiah. :)

Kara said...

Love the link! I'm a day behind so I'll start Isaiah today.

A Faithful Journey said...

I love reading through the Psalms!
Praying for you as you continue on this journey!
Many Blessings!

Related Posts with Thumbnails