Monday, September 6, 2010

The Bible in 90 Days #57-63

Bible-in-90-Days1 I have a confession to make - - - I got extremely hung up in Jeremiah, Lamentations, and Ezekiel.  I think there are parts of Jeremiah and Lamentations that are a bit confusing; and Ezekiel . . . well, it reads  very much like a fantasy story.  Fantasy is not normally my genre of choice, though I did recently read through the first 5 Narnia books (after many years of resistance!) 

Anyway, just thinking about the differences in these books of Scriptures reminded me of the various and different men that God chose to write His Words.  Not only were their personalities and circumstances different from each other, but so was their writing style.  I’m sure (because all Scripture is God-breathed) that God knew exactly what He was doing when he picked these very different men – different styles communicate to different people – yet the message is the same.  Just something to think about.  I’m sure there’s someone out there who just loved Ezekiel. :)

And, Day 63 – the book of Daniel.  What can I say?  It was like a breath of fresh air for me.  It makes sense, it’s familiar, yet it’s stories have profound significance.  Many of the accounts in the book of Daniel are things we’ve heard from little on up – Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace; Daniel in the Lion’s Den, Daniel interpreting Nebuchadnezzar’s dreams, Daniel interpreting the writing on the wall for Belshazzar – it’s all familiar, yet it makes you really think when you read it.  I know I’m going to bed tonight with lots to ponder. 

I love the historical aspects of this book.  And after going through The Mystery of History series in school, it’s even more interesting to think about how this Biblical history was intertwined with the world/ancient history we learned about in public school. 

When I was growing up, my mom had a bunch of records that we listened to over and over.  One of my favorite record sets was The Holy Bible by the Statler Brothers (a family favorite).  I was reminded this evening of one of my favorite songs on that album set – The Fourth Man in the Fire.  I couldn’t find the Statler version on YouTube, but I did find this one:

Sorry my post is rather pathetic this week.  I really have been reading, I promise! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails