Tuesday, January 11, 2011

B90 Week 2

Yesterday was the official Week 2 Check-in for B90 Days. I wasn’t really planning to sharing a daily journal of my thoughts, since I just did that a few months ago, during my first trip through B90.  However, some things popped out to me that I felt led to share, so here goes ---

Do you ever feel like you have the whole world on your shoulders?  I know I do.  And I often feel inadequate to the task.   I find myself wishing I could juggle – both time and myself.  I wish I could be in more that one place at a time, so that I could accomplish my housework, TOS work, and schoolwork with the kids all at the same time.  Instead, I often find myself feeling like I am being pulled in too many directions and I’m not accomplishing what I want to in the way that I want to.  In addition to these daily tasks, then I add in extra things that I need or want to do, and I end up feeling extremely inadequate. 

In my reading of Exodus, several passages struck me as applicable to me at this point in my life, and I wanted to share, with the hopes that maybe these verses will speak to YOU too. 

Moses was talking to his father-in-law about a  very similar situation he found himself in – a lot of people were looking to him as their leader and he was feeling overwhelmed and torn in many directions. 

Exodus 18:17-23 (English Standard Version)

17Moses’ father-in-law said to him, "What you are doing is not good. 18You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you.(A) You are not able to do it alone. 19Now obey my voice; I will give you advice, and God be with you! You shall(B) represent the people before God and(C) bring their cases to God, 20and you shall warn them about the statutes and the laws, and make them know(D) the way in which they must walk and(E) what they must do. 21Moreover, look for(F) able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens. 22And(G) let them judge the people at all times.(H) Every great matter they shall bring to you, but any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will(I) bear the burden with you. 23If you do this, God will direct you, you will be(J) able to endure, and all this people also will go to their place in peace."  [emphasis mine]

I realize that Moses had a bit more on shoulders than I do, but the feelings are the same.  So, what is God saying to me?  Maybe it’s ok that I can’t do it alone.  It’s ok, and even encouraged, to ask for help.  If you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t be afraid to say “no” or ask someone to help carry some of the burden with you.  Maybe the kids could take on more household responsibility, your husband could pick up a few areas of your homeschooling, you can designate more responsibility at work.  Whatever. Just don’t let yourself become so weighted down that you lose sight of what’s important. 

Here is a bit more confirmation that man was not created to be an island:

Exodus 17:10-13 (English Standard Version)

10So(A) Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and(B) Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11Whenever Moses(C) held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. 12But Moses’ hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and(D) Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. 13And(E) Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword. [emphasis mine]

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts, Heidi. I love it when you can read something in the scriptures and apply it to something going on in your life right at that exact moment. It's God's way of speaking to us, and what a blessing it is. I too sometimes feel as you do, I want to be the best at all of the things I am trying to do. Wife, mom, teacher, daughter, friend, employee. It's a juggling act, as you know. It's good to know God's got our back, so to speak, and I hope neither of us never lose sight of what's truly important in this life. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails