Saturday, April 2, 2011

Monster Truck Nationals ~ Who Knew?!

A few weeks ago, I shared that my family and I would be going to the Monster Truck Nationals.  Well, yesterday was the  big day . . .

Monster Trucks 001 We set out for State College, PA and started our evening with a very yummy supper at the Texas Roadhouse (though it’s not part of this review, might I recommend the pulled pork meal? Delish!) We ate early so we’d arrive at the Bryce Jordan Center in time to participate in the Pit Party. 

Monster Trucks 090 It was pretty neat seeing all the Monster Trucks up close.  I had no idea exactly how big they were.  This picture of Ian and me standing beside Crushstation rather puts their size into perspective.   I’m 5’3” and, as you can see, that tire is almost as big around as I am tall! (please excuse the unknown child who hopped in the shot right as Ashley was snapping the picture!)

Monster Trucks 097 Ian thought the Mini Monsters were pretty cool!  This one was made to depict The General Lee, and even said The Dukes of Hazzard on the hood.  This particular truck has a lady driver, and she took the checkered flag later in the evening when these mini-trucks had their race!  Go, General!

Monster Trucks 026 After the Pit Party, we found our seats and waited for the  big show.  While we were waiting, we enjoyed watching the Remote Control Monster Trucks.  These things are crazy-fast!  I think we might need to buy one to play with at home!

Monster Trucks 039

The show started off with the Freestyle Motorcycles.  These guys are CRAZY!  I only got one decent picture.  They don’t allow videotape and that would have been the only good way to capture the fun of these guys.  Let’s just say it’s a good thing I’m not their mother – if I was, I’d be doing a LOT of praying.  Each jump literally made my mouth drop open!

There were Five Monster Trucks in the show.  Each one had a chance at Wheelies – in other words, running over the parked cars. 

Monster Trucks 072 
Chalkboard Chuck – the truck that wants YOUR autograph

Monster Trucks 043
Star Marshall – a PA hometown favorite

Monster Trucks 044
Crushstation – the Giant Lobster

Monster Trucks 046
Stabilizer

Monster Trucks 048
Bigfoot – the original Monster Truck

Next on the schedule is the Donut Competition.  Our personal favorite (and apparently that of the whole crowd) was Crushstation.  Check out these donut tracks:

Monster Trucks 051

After intermission, the trucks go head to head:

Monster Trucks 062

Monster Trucks 124

The night ends with each truck having a chance at free style.  We saw more car-crushing wheelies and more fun donuts.  Thank goodness for our earplugs, as there was also a great deal of engine revving during this part of the show!  Bigfoot rounded out the free style section:

Monster Trucks 126

We all really enjoyed this show!  I have to admit, I didn’t go into it with big expectations as I really didn’t think it would be “my thing”.  Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.  Ian asked when we can go back!

If you get a chance to see the Monster Truck Nationals near you, do it!  It might not be your normal entertainment, but that’s ok – step out of your little box and go have fun!  I did!

1 comment:

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

Monster Trucks is not something I've ever had an interest in, but I'm sure my boys would love it. I can just hear them now! lol Sounds like you had a great time and I LOVE the pictures! Those would be really cool framed for your little guys room. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails