Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Adversity, Obstacles, and Troubles . . . oh my!

Quote 9

How many people do you know who would say that they actually like adversity, trouble, or obstacles?  I don’t know too many!  I can’t say that I’m a big fan –especially when in the midst of any of these things.

I’m not a fan of adversity because I’ve always been a bit of a peacemaker, I guess.  I just want everyone to get along.  I don’t like conflict. I don’t like disagreements.  (Sometimes I just want everyone else to agree that I’m right and move on. LOL) 

I’m not a fan of trouble because I’m really not much of a rule-breaker and I've never enjoyed being in trouble.  Whether it be in school, or pulled over by a police officer for speeding.  Trouble in life – things like financial trouble or relationship trouble – nope, don’t enjoy them either.  Trouble seems to lend itself to worry – worry results in stress.  If I could get through life without it, I’d choose the easy road!

And obstacles . . . I’m not a fan because I just want things to go my way and run smoothly.  Those obstacles that get thrown in the path – either in the form of adversity or trouble – just aren’t any fun.  I’d rather walk around them than through them! 

But, Walt’s got a point . . . without these things in our lives, we wouldn’t grow.  Having to face – and work through – these things definitely does make us stronger. 

I could share personal examples.  I’m sure you could too.  The point is that we have to work THROUGH them.  We can’t walk around them.  We can’t avoid them.  We have to face them, conquer them, and move on.  We need to look at them as a learning experience.  We need to take that experience and use it to make us wiser and stronger. 

We can’t sit around wallowing in self-pity, wondering why this adversity, trouble, or obstacle has come our way.  If we do, we’re stunting our own growth.  And, quite possibly, missing the blessing!

I wish I had known Walt.  I think he was a very wise and insightful man. 

And that’s my take on this week’s quote.  Have you shared YOUR thoughts yet?  Don’t forget to link them up here.

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Very insightful for sure. Here's to growing stronger through adversity. :)

MomsMustardSeeds said...

I read this on my phone today and meant to come back and comment. I agree with everything...the hard part is truly finding friends who understand that no one is perfect, we all make mistakes....and really good relationships grow through tough times. Love you dearly!!! So love this post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails