Monday, October 15, 2007

Mosaic by Amy Grant

The name Amy Grant reminds me of the 80's.  I was a teenager in the 80's and a big fan of Amy Grant~ as a matter of fact, the very first concert I ever went to was an Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith concert in Hershey, PA.  I believe it was the Lead Me On tour in 1988.  My best friend and I set off on "an adventure" and we had a blast!  I loved her songs and had all of her tapes (remember them? before the introduction of cd's!)  So, when I think of Amy Grant and the 80's, I feel like a teenager again. 


 



When the opportunity to review Amy's book, Mosaic, came up (along with a chance to give 3 books away to my readers~ information to follow), I jumped at the chance.  I had a few people say things like "I used to be a fan of Amy's, but I'm not really anymore"; and, I have to admit, I was feeling a little bit the same way.  I thought back to the late 90's when suddenly Amy was with Vince Gill, and not with her husband (Gary Chapman) anymore.  I remember wondering what happened, and why a Christian music artist that I respected had gotten a divorce.  I was actually hoping that she might share "the rest of the story" in Mosaic


Mosaic wasn't exactly what I expected. I thought it would be more of an autobiographical story, when really it is more of a book of vignettes.  There are lyrics from many of Amy's songs (past and present) and many of them tie in with things that were and are happening in Amy's life, things that she shares in "short story" form throughout the book.  Though I don't really know anymore about Amy's marital "issues" than I did  before, I do have a new (or, should I say, renewed) appreciation for Amy. 


Mosaic offers tales of motherhood, marriage, friendship, faith, loss, forgiveness, and redemption.  Some of the stories made me laugh, some made me remember, and some brought tears to my eyes.  Amy has been very open and has shared from her heart.  All-in-all, I really enjoyed reading it~ it was a quick read, but enjoyable.  It's a beautiful book, and would be a great addition to any home library collection. It would also make a wonderful gift for any Amy Grant fan in your life.


A brief excerpt from the book (one of my favorites): "Like everybody else, I wish I were in better shape or had planned an upcoming event a little more thoroughly.  I wish I were neater.  I wish I weighed what I weighed when I was in the thirties.  But all those things are for another day.  This day~ this is the day the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it." (I could have written that!  except mine would say "I wish I had weighed what I weighed in my teens!")

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails