Wednesday, November 19, 2008

White Christmas Pie by Wanda Brunstetter


This week, the
Christian Fiction Blog Alliance
is introducing
White Christmas Pie
Barbour Publishing, Inc (September 1, 2008)
by
Wanda E. Brunstetter
Step into Amish country for this bittersweet holiday romance. Here you'll meet Will Henderson, a young man tortured by his past, and Karen Yoder, a young woman looking for answers. Add a desperate father searching for his son, and you have all the ingredients for a first-class romance that will inspire and enthrall.

Abandoned by his father, Will Henderson was raised by an Amish couple. Now he's about to marry Karen Yoder but is having second thoughts. Can Will overcome the bitterness of his past in order to secure his future? Karen cannot break through the barrier her fiance has suddenly constructed around his heart. When she seeks the advice of an old boyfriend, Will begins to see green. Has he already lost his chance for happiness?

When an accident threatens Will's life, the strength of blood ties is tested. Will a recipe for White Christmas pie contain the ingredients for a happily-ever-after?

If you would like to read the first chapter of White Christmas Pie, go HERE



Fascinated by the Amish people during the years of visiting her husband's family in Pennsylvania, WANDA E. BRUNSTETTER combined her interest with her writing and now has eleven novels about the Amish in print, along with numerous other stories and ministry booklets. She lives in Washington State, where her husband is a pastor, but takes every opportunity to visit Amish settlements throughout the states.

This year Wanda also published A Sister's Hope.




This was the first of Wanda's  books that I have read.  I have heard of her and have  been seeing her books in stores, etc. but I had never had opportunity to read one.  So, I was anxious for White Christmas Pie.  Living among the Amish, I tend to be much more critical of these books based on the Amish - and there seems to be an overabundance of them these days.  I have read most of Bevely Lewis' books and I find them to be quite  good.  However, if you've been reading my  blog for any length of time, you know I've read some Amish books by other authors that I have NOT enjoyed.
So, yes, I'm critical, I admit it.  Here's my thoughts on White Christmas Pie --- as far as the Amish, I was so glad that this book was set in Indiana, rather than PA.  Anything written about the Amish that I wasn't quite sure about (and there wasn't much), I was able to "chalk it up" as differences in various Amish sects - so that was GOOD!  However, I wasn't really impressed with the writing style of this book.  It seemed extremely simplistic to me, almost as if it were forced.  In other words, things were written into the storyline that, to me, would have been better off left  to the imagination.  I don't know if that makes any sense or not.  The more I read it, the more I liked it - I thought it started off somewhat slow and drawn out. 
I will pick up more of her books, though, as I'd be interested to see if they are all written in this same style.  We shall see.....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails