Friday, January 1, 2010

SIMPLIFY in 2010



I've been thinking a lot about 2010 and what I want to do with it.  I'm not much for making New Years Resolutions because, let's face it, how many of us make them only to fail a few weeks into the year and give up?  The past couple of years, I've had some friends who have chosen a word for the year - so I've decided to do so this year - choosing the word SIMPLIFY.  I'm going to apply it to several areas of my life . . .
  • The first will obviously be in the area of "stuff".  We live in an older style home (built in 1929) and the storage in less than adequate.  I've complained about the small closets and lack of cupboard space ever since we moved here.  Thing is, though, that the older I  get the more I realize that maybe the builders of this house had the right idea - and maybe we have too much.  In the spring of 2009, we had to totally empty our attic (for the remodel which would become Ashley's bedroom) - so we already did a great deal of purging this year.  But, I intend to do even more in 2010!
  • I've already simplified my calendars by putting everything together in one binder - for home, school, work, blogging, etc. - I did this in early 2009, when I realized that I couldn't possibly keep up with everything when it was all in separate places.  I'll continue with this organizational method for 2010.  It helps me stay on track with my work hours, and know what and when to blog (reviews, etc.)
  • Our school - and this is a matter for prayer - I think we might try to do too much in too little time.  I want our school days to be more fun and natural learning, rather than pushing and/or squeezing things in just for the sake of doing it.  That probably makes no sense, but I want to simplify our days.
I'm sure there are more ways in which we can simplify in 2010, but these are some immediate goals that come to mind.

In addition to simplifying things, I'm also hoping to get more exercise and eat a bit better this year. :) 

What are YOUR GOALS?  Did you pick a WORD for 2010?  Please share . . .

2 comments:

author said...

Excellent word and goals, Heidi! I agree w/ your thoughts regarding school. I find myself cramming everything in, then wondering why everyone's so grumpy later. (Gee...duh!)

Nikki said...

What you shared about simplifying school really piqued my interest as well, Heidi! I have often wondered if I could simply do science and art with my kids during the summer months when we could be more relaxed, enjoy our projects and experiments and not cram them in during our days. But, since moving to PA, I'm not real sure how that would work w/ our portfolio requirements and if I can adequately show we have indeed met all requirements.

Related Posts with Thumbnails