Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ham Loaf or ... maybe not!

*Previously posted on May 20, 2009.  I mentioned Mock Ham Loaf over on FB today and caused quite a stir.  Who knew that Ham Loaf was a PA Dutch food?  I had no idea.  I’ve been eating it all these years and just took it for granted, I guess.  Anyway, here you go:

My mom is from a large family (11 children).  One of her sisters is an excellent cook.  She just has a way of making everything taste extra good ( I think the secret ingredient is sugar!).  Her Ham Loaf recipe is the best around.  I shared it in a church cookbook and I've been asked to share the recipe with many people. 

Judy's Ham Loaf

Loaf:
1 1/2 lbs. ground ham                            1 c. milk
1 lb. ground pork                                     1 c. corn flakes
2 eggs

Sauce:
1/2 c. vinegar                                           1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. water                                               1/2 tsp. mustard

As delicious as Ham Loaf is, it's expensive to make.  It's not always easy to find ground ham and ground pork; and, when you do, it's pricey.  So, Ham Loaf, around here, is for special occasions. 

I have another aunt who shared the following recipe in our family cookbook.  I read it and thought "hot dogs?! you've got to be kidding me!"  So, I never tried it.  Then, at our family Christmas get-together, I  tried some of this (not knowing exactly what it was).  Yum!  Ashley and I made it last night for supper and we all really enjoyed it.  Seriously!  Made with hot dogs and definitely good enough to serve to guests.  So, I thought I'd share the recipe for this much cheaper version of the loaf ...

Sharon's Mock Ham Loaf

Loaf:
1 lb. ground beef                                    1 egg. beaten
1/2 lb. ground hot dogs                         1 tsp. salt
1 c. ground cracker crumbs                  pepper, to taste

Glaze:
3/4 c. brown sugar                                1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. dry mustard                             1 T. vinegar

Mix 1/2 glaze mixture with meat loaf.  Baste with remaining glaze.  Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

My notes: 1/2 lb. of hot dogs is approximately 5-6 dogs.  We don't have a meat grinder, so we used (of all things) a pastry blender to mash up our dogs.  A grinder would definitely be better, and it would make the chunks of hot dog less visible (but wouldn't do anything to make it taste  better!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

H~
I'm so laughing at your beginning paragraph! My husband is from Lancaster County, PA and ham loaf is one of his favorite meals. We only have it when we return, or if his parents buy it at Wenger's and bring it out here to Northern IN with them. Definitely a PA Dutch entree!

Praying for you!
~H

Related Posts with Thumbnails