Monday, April 12, 2010

Welcome to the Party!

Ultimate Blog Party 2010

I’m getting in on the Ultimate Blog Party (hosted by 5 Minutes for Mom) a little late this year.  I had all intentions of blogging LIVE FROM CINCINNATI – while attending the Midwest Homeschool Convention this past weekend – but that was one crazy place!  I found myself with absolutely NO spare time!  So, here I am – joining in on the blog party fun – just a few days late!

Since my blog here at blogger is fairly new, I’ll take a little bit of time to introduce myself to any new readers/visitors ---

I’ve been blogging for several years now, and previously blogged at Reviews by Heidi.  I loved that blog – it’s where I learned how to blog, how to do some html coding, and how much fun it is to make online/blogging friends.  I’ve made some lasting friendships at HSB.  There was nothing wrong with that blogging platform; I simply felt the need for a change.  There were many ups and downs in our lives in 2009, and I wanted to make a fresh start (in more ways than one) in 2010.  Hence, this new blog!

 DSCN0559 I’m a stay-at-home, work-at-home, homeschooling mom to 3 great kids.  My oldest daughter, Ashley, is 16 years old.  I’m not sure how that happened!  She’s currently finishing up her 10th grade year; and, with the exception of 2 1/2 years in the local public school (2nd-4th grades), she’s been homeschooled her whole life and wouldn’t have it any other way.  She’s a great girl, and is growing into a very wonderful young lady.  She has taught herself to play guitar and leads worship at youth group.  She’s also a writer and co-authors a blog for teen girls. We’re great friends and have lots of fun when we’re together.  She helped me man the booth at the Midwest Convention – and we discovered that she’s also a very talented sales lady!

IMG_0270 Gracie is my middle child.  She’s 9, and finishing up her 5th grade year.  She wanted to learn to read when she was 4, so 2 months after her 4th birthday, we started her in kindergarten.  Her favorite subject is math – it’s the first thing she does when she wakes up in the morning, and she’s always asking to do extra math work!  I’m not sure if she’ll have a career in finances or not; but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.  She loves her pets (our dog Sallie and her guinea pig Jackson) and her stuffed animals (which she treats like real animals) – maybe a veterinarian?  She plays both piano and violin, and is quite the talented artist as well. She recently learned to ride a bike without training wheels and jumped up and got right back on after a nasty spill last week!

spring 048 Ian is the baby in our family.  He’ll be 4 in 8 days!  With Ian around, there’s never a dull moment and he always puts a smile on our faces (even in the darkest of times).  I cannot imagine what our lives would be like without having been touched by Ian.  He is quick to pick up on everything, but he’s way too busy to sit down and work on school (though every once in awhile he does ask to do some schoolwork).  He’s Tim Hawkins biggest fan and goes around quoting Tim quite often.  A future comedian?  Who knows!

spring 045 I’ve been married to my husband Brian for 18 years, but we’ve only had 4 anniversaries (figure that one out!) In addition to working for a local trucking company (accounts payable), he also enjoys being a basketball referee during the winter months, and spending time in his garden and going to the sprint car races in the summer months. 

I work from home, part time, as the Special Projects Manager for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.  I love my job!  One of the best parts of my job is serving as the Captain for the TOS Homeschool Crew.  This past weekend, I was blessed with the opportunity to meet several of my Crew members – what fun!  I also am co-creator of our Schoolhouse Planner – the 3rd edition (2010) has just recently released!

I love blogging, reading, shopping for bargains, and planning things (like get-togethers and vacations).  To me, a large portion of the fun is in the planning, so I can make a good vacation last for a year (or more!)  I recently lost my best friend after a 9-month battle with ovarian cancer; so I’m trying to adjust to a “new normal”.  Because of  that, in addition to my passions for homeschooling and adoption, I’m also passionate about ovarian cancer awareness. 

We’re looking forward to some  traveling this spring, as we represent TOS at various homeschool conventions, along the east coast.  If you live in PA, NY, VA, or FL, or you’re planning to attend the statewide convention in any of these states, be sure to stop by the TOS  booth and introduce yourself.

I do both book and product reviews here on my blog, and enjoy offering giveaways too!  I love meeting new friends, so I hope you’ll leave a comment and/or decide to follow my blog.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My Prize Wish List
(I’d be thrilled to win any of the following prizes, which are listed in random order):

7 comments:

Traci Michele said...

Hey there :-)

Nice to meet you!

Found you over at the UBP...

Come check out our fun.

Traci

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's great to meet all your family through this post. It looks like you are raising great kids with many talents. Happy partying!

Elizabeth said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog :o) Yours is very pretty. And I scanned over your daughter's blog too---she is a phenomenal young lady. You must be so proud of her!

mommy beth said...

Hi! I'm new to blogging and I felt more inspired upon reading your blog!

Loretta said...

Hello Heidi,

Stopping by from TOS Crew. I will certainly be able to remember your younger daughter's name - my sister's name is also Gracie. (Everyone always wants to know if it's a nickname for Grace - it's not.) And, I attend CHAP (in PA) every year. So next time, I'll look for TOS's booth, and introduce myself personally.

Loretta
homeschoolblogger.com/amnbooks/

Loretta said...

Hi Heidi,

Stopping by from TOS Crew. It's nice to get to know you a little better. My sister's name is Gracie (just Gracie, NOT short for Grace) so I'll be able to remember your younger daughter's name easily! And, I attend CHAP (in PA) every year, so next time, I'll look for the TOS booth and introduce myself personally.

Blessings,
Loretta
homeschoolblogger.com/amnbooks

becky@purposefulhomemaking.com said...

Nice to learn more about you! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails