Friday, November 12, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge – November 12

2010GratitudeChallengeButton I had something else in mind for today (though I never did get around to making that list).  But, as I was preparing to write this post, it hit me – I’m very thankful for music. 

I’ve always loved music.  My maternal grandfather was very musical – he played guitar and mandolin, as well as the harmonica, and other instruments.  He had a group that performed on the radio (back when radio shows were live broadcasts).  My paternal grandfather loved to sing. 

My dad can’t carry a tune in a bucket (bless his heart).  I know my mom worried that I’d inherit that (lack of) talent.  But, I grew up listening to her sing to me, and there was always music playing in our house (at least the way I remember it).  As a matter of fact, there was a time when I wouldn’t go to sleep at night without hearing the soundtrack to Love Story being played (on the record player).

It took a near-death experience as an adult before I actually got up the nerve to sing in public.  My best friend Sue and I made our debut at our church, singing a duet in a Christmas cantata.  From there, we went on to sing at our own church, as well as various other venues in our area (including ladies retreats, carnivals, etc.) over the years.  I miss singing with her. 

Last week one day, the topic of the 30 Day Blog Challenge was to post the first 10 random songs that came up on our iPods – mine contains quite a variety of music.  I love Christian contemporary, but can still appreciate and enjoy many other types of music as well. 

So, I’m particularly thankful, as I sit here listening to K-Love streaming live through my computer, for MUSIC.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I totally get this. My life has a soundtrack, for sure, and music moves me emotionally in so many ways. I always have music on, or my iPod close by. I sing like your Dad, but I don't let it stop me.

Jill said...

My kids tell me "Mom, you have a song for everything". Music is a big part of life and can lift any situation.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I had to laugh at Jill's comment as that's what my daughter always says to me. My husband can't stand quiet - I think it has to do with the constant ringing in his ears (courtesy of the Marine Corps)- so we always have something playing in the background.

We also enjoy a wide range of music.

It's hard to say goodbye to a dear friend, but you have those precious memories that will always keep her near. I'm glad that you were able to share that significant moment in your life with someone so special.

Vickie said...

Now see....I'm the opposite of everyone. I love music, sure. But I can't stand it on all the time. I definitely can't have it on while driving. I can listen to sessions of an Expo, like on CD's. I can listen to other seminars. Just not music. I know I know....no egg throwing. Call me weird..go ahead LOL No...I've not always been this way. Only about the last 20 years or so. LOVE singing in church .. can't carry a tune but love being there and raising my voice in praise.

Jodi said...

I LOVED this post today, especially the story about you and Sue singing in Church. What a sweet memory, I'm sure you miss singing with her very much. I love listening to K-Love too! Did you know they have an iPod app too? Thanks for sharing. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails