Saturday, January 15, 2011

Put out any fires lately?

I have.  And I’m not talking about figurative fires. 

Thursday morning, I ignored my alarm clock in order to stay in my toasty warm bed and snuggle with Ian for awhile.  He had fallen back to sleep, and I was just dozing when I heard what sounded like an explosion, or a sort of fireworks type sound.  I glanced out into the hallway and saw bright light.  My first thought was that something had happened to the pellet stove downstairs.

I jumped out of bed and ran into the hallway.  I immediately saw the flames – coming from an extension cord that our Eden Pure heater was plugged into.  They were shooting up fairly high!  I yelled for Ashley, then ran into Gracie’s room to unplug the cord.  Then I grabbed a cup of water in the bathroom and threw it on the fire.  Ashley was bringing more water and I threw another cup on it.  It doused the fire, but the smell was horrendous, so I made the kids get up and go downstairs. 

Later I went upstairs and threw the cord out the window!  Then I tackled the black marks on the floor.  Most of them came up – there’s just enough left there to remind us of the morning we had a fire in the house.

My mother’s mind keeps thinking of all the “what if’s” – you know the ones I’m talking about – things like “what if I hadn’t been laying awake?”, “what if I had been downstairs?”, “what if I couldn’t have gotten the girls out of their rooms in time?”  Our house is old and full of old wood – it could have gone up so quickly, had I not reacted in a timely manner.  Needless to say, it wasn’t as easy to go to sleep the next night!

I’m praising God for His care of us the other morning.  Fire is a very scary thing.  We’re counting our blessings, that’s for sure!

10 comments:

Our Homeschool Reviews said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad that you and your family are OK. I'm sure that was scary! A good reminder for all of us to check our plugs and wiring. God was watching over you, I'm sure!

Sheri said...

Whoah, that is kinda scary! Glad you caught it in time. That was one of those plug in heaters right? We had one that sparked and actually started a little ditty right in the outlet-if it had been one of those smoldering ones, it could have spread into the electrical system and well-we'd of been homeless-so I can relate. Very scary. Well, glad the Lord was there to protect ya all and it didn't cause too much damage! Hugs!

Debbie S. said...

That is really scary! I'm so glad that you were protected and able to think fast.

Here's to a good night's sleep!

Debbie

Samantha said...

So thankful you are all safe!!

BARBIE said...

I am so thankful you are all okay. I had a small kitchen fire the week my daughter was born. I was just dozing off to sleep with her on the couch and something jolted me awake. I thank God for His protection over us that day.

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you, Lord, for watching over you and all taking care of you.

Yeah, that's something that would make me uneasy to go to sleep the following night. So glad to hear that everyone is ok!

Brenda said...

Wow! What a scary experience and yet wonderful to see how the Lord was right there protecting you and your family. He is good!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Wow that is such a scary thought! I wouldn't have gone to sleep either. I am so glad it turned out okay.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Oh Heidi, how scary! I'm glad that you are all okay. The Lord was certainly with you.

Crystal's Place said...

Scary!!! So glad everything is ok now, I know how my mind would race after something like that too.
Hugs and Love to you my friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails