Monday, April 18, 2011

Thoughts on birthdays and blessings

Today is my friend Sue’s 38th birthday.  But, she’s not here to celebrate.  This is her 2nd birthday in heaven.  I was thinking about that yesterday, and wondered if they celebrate birthdays in heaven.  I was thinking that, if so, maybe they’d grill up some yummy burgers for Sue and maybe serve up Pina Colada Italian Ices.  I don’t know, but it’s a fun thought.

Really, I’m pretty sure that physical  birthdays are insignificant in heaven.  I do wonder, though, if they party for spiritual birthdays – or maybe they celebrate the day someone entered heaven.  Those both seem like good reasons to celebrate to me.  But, then again, it’s heaven – there’s always a reason to celebrate, I guess – I mean, what could be more exciting and worth celebrating than being in the presence of Jesus, and not being in pain or experiencing sadness ever again?

There’s been an empty place in my life since last March 5th.  God has sent so many blessings my way this past year – in the form of friends from all over and opportunities to travel and meet some of them.  Yet, I still feel a void in my life RIGHT HERE.  I long for the closeness of a friend – like I experienced with Sue.  I miss her. 

Lately, I’ve had a few people tell me that I’ve been a blessing to them this past year and I wonder “how can  that be?”  Here I’ve been totally empty, sitting here waiting for someone else to fill me up; yet someone is getting a blessing FROM ME?  That’s humbling.  And I guess it just goes to show that God is always working in us, even when we don’t feel like we’re worth much.

If you’re feeling broken or empty, take heart.  This may be just the time when God will use you and fill you to overflowing – and those blessings will pour out on others.

9 comments:

Loretta said...

My husband's birthday was April 15 - but he's been celebrating in heaven for the last 11 years. Time is a very healing force.

And yes, when we do what we need to do, even though we might feel like wallowing in self-pity, God can use us. I guess that's because even when everything is right in our world, it's still his Holy Spirit working through us, not ourselves alone.

Loretta (from TOS)

Catherine said...

(hugs). I hope you can find memories to make you smile today. My father's birthday is in a few weeks. We always go out for ice cream because he loved it so much.

You've definitely been a blessing to me this year!

Michelle Smith said...

Thanks for taking the time to encourage others this morning, Heidi. I know I've been so tired lately due to one child's allergies keeping us up half the night. I am so tired some mornings I have no idea how I have anything left in me to teach them well. I know it isn't the same situation, yet I do wonder whether the Holy Spirit is working through me, too. Thanks for sharing how you've seen God working despite your own feelings and struggles.

I'm praying for you today.

Heather said...

HUGS. You are a blessing.

Hitechwizard said...

Oh Heidi, this hurts my heart for you!! I pray you find that friend that fills you...no! that will over flow your heart!.....I know she will be hard to find.....she is out there, you may have already met her...you just have to let her in?

With all my love and kisses to you my friend!!!!!

Debbie said...

In the past couple of years, I've felt very broken and needy in my own personal life, yet I have had numerous people tell me that I have ministered to them or have been an example of faith and faithfulness. It always surprises me, but I think God uses us better in our brokenness.

I'm praying for comfort for you as you continue to miss your dear friend.

Debbie Phillips said...

Cyber hugs. Real prayers. Real hugs in a few weeks when I finally get to meet you. I can't wait but I am sure it will not be as thrilling for you as it will be for me. Praying God will help you fill those holes you feel, with himself first and then with a best friend, and praying he does it for you soon.

Cathy said...

Amen and very well said Heidi!

Crystal said...

Oh Heidi you made me cry. Big hugs to you, I know how much you miss Sue.
You ARE a blessing!!!!
Hugs, Love and Prayers for you my friend! Cant wait to see you soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails