Thursday, December 15, 2011

Remembering You – A Holiday Meme with Tricia Goyer

I love books and Tricia Goyer is one of my favorite authors!  She’s hosting a holiday meme (with a focus on remembering those loved ones who are no longer with us), and I thought it would be fun to play along.  There are prizes involved, so YOU might want to join in. 

Here are the “rules” (via Tricia’s blog):

Post and answer the below questions on your blog or Facebook. Then either tag specific people or tag your readers/friends (so they will answer share and answer the questions too). Then come back here and fill out the linky (below - under the photo where it says CLICK HERE TO ENTER). Easy.

Tricia will choose 10 winners to receive a 4 book Tricia Goyer prize pack***!

1. What's your favorite holiday song?

This is a tough one for me.  I grew up listening to lots of Christmas music – and my mom is still listening to those old Christmas records today!  Now, I have my own collection of Christmas cd’s that we all enjoy.  Traditionally, I’d probably choose O Holy Night – but not just anyone can sing this song (it takes some talent).  Josh Groban can sing it quite well:

If I were to pick a newer/more contemporary Christmas song, it would probably be Not That Far From Bethlehem by Point of Grace. I have fond memories of singing this song with my friend Sue at church (man, I miss her!)

2. What's your favorite holiday tradition?

My family all gathers together at my parents’ house on Christmas Eve. My dad always goes out and gets stuff for us to do “make your own” subs.  There’s always lots of other goodies as well.  We exchange our gifts to each other at that time.  We started this so many years ago that I can’t remember not doing it.  Over the years, my mom has occasionally suggested doing something differently, but we’re resistant!  Why mess with a good thing, right?

A more recent family tradition is for my parents to come to our house for lunch on Christmas day.  We started this back when my mom was still nursing and was often away on Christmas day, so we’d have my dad over for lunch.  We always have a non-traditional meal of Stromboli.  We love it!

3. If you could travel one place with an elderly family member where would you go?

You’re all expecting me to say Walt Disney World, right?  Actually, I don’t know.  I rather wish time travel were possible, as I think it would be so cool to go back in time to when my grandparents were young, and experience what life must have been like for them.

4. What questions would you ask?

All the questions that I didn’t ask when they were living.  Man, you think of so much that you wish you would have thought to ask – after it’s too late. 

5. What is a non-tangible gift have you received from an elderly relative?

Time.  My paternal grandparents lived close to us when I was growing up and I spent a great deal of time with them.  I have such precious memories of the simplest things – playing rummy and Chinese checkers with my Nanny and sitting on my Pap’s lap and just talking.  Some of the simplest things are the ones that make for the best memories, aren’t they?

6. What is the best/worst/strangest gift you've received from an elderly relative?

Probably the best gift I received was my Chrissy doll (who remains in my keepsake box to this day).  My grandparents got her for me when I was 3 years old.  I dearly loved that doll (you can tell, too!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails