Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Breakfast Strata

Last night, we had “breakfast for supper”.  I love some breakfast foods – like quiche, baked oatmeal, and breakfast casseroles – but none of us are big breakfast people (because, with the exception of Brian, we’re not really morning people); so we choose to eat these things for supper sometimes. 

I love looking through cookbooks and finding new recipes to try.  Last time I made my menu and grocery list, I decided to try this Breakfast Strata recipe that I had found in our church cookbook.  The contributor played a very large part in my life during my teen years!  I know her recipes are always good ones, so this one seemed a sure thing.  I altered it a bit, so I’ll note my changes.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 box cheddar cheese croutons (I used garlic & cheese)
  • 1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
  • 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
  • 4 eggs (I used 6)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken)
  • 2 1/2 c. milk
  • 3/4 tsp. dry mustard (I used a squirt of regular mustard)

DIRECTIONS:

  • Grease 9x13” pan.
  • Layer croutons, sausage, and cheese in bottom of pan.
  • Beat eggs and 2 cups milk with wire whisk.  Add mustard.  Pour over other ingredients.
  • Mix soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour on top.
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I prepared in the morning and covered for several hours before baking.)
  • Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it because not only was it delicious but it looked yummy too – all nicely browned and bubbly on top.  We all loved this recipe and voted it a definite addition to the menu rotation!  If you try it, let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

Karen Young said...

I am thinking of having family over for Palm Sunday Brunch.....maybe I will give this a try...it sounds yummy!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails