Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ten Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe by Larry Osborne


Just Because “Everyone Believes It” Doesn’t Make It True

People don’t set out to build their faith upon myths and spiritual urban legends. But somehow such falsehoods keep showing up in the way that many Christians think about life and God. These goofy ideas and beliefs are assumed by millions to be rock-solid truth . . . until life proves they’re not. The sad result is often a spiritual disaster—confusion, feelings of betrayal, a distrust of Scripture, loss of faith, anger toward both the church and God.



But it doesn’t have to be so. In this delightfully personal and practical book, respected Bible teacher Larry Osborne confronts ten widely held beliefs that are both dumb and dangerous. Beliefs like these:



• Faith can fix anything

• Christians shouldn’t judge

• Forgiving means forgetting

• Everything happens for a reason

• A godly home guarantees good kids

…and more.


I'm not entirely through this book, as I sit down to read non-fiction a bit at a time; but, I must say that this book came to me exactly when I needed it most and what I've read of it has  been a real "eye-opener" for me.  It has helped me to look at some situations that I'm dealing with presently in a whole new light; and, for that, I've been extremely thankful for the opportunity to review this one. As Christians, we often find ourselves becoming complacent - this book is just the encouragement I needed to dig into my Bible and find the TRUTH, rather than settling for the dumbed-down beliefs that are often handed to us (and, out of laziness, we accept). 



If any of the points above sound like something you need a reality check on, I'd highly recommend checking out this book.  You just might be surprised!  Chapter topics not covered above include: God Has a Blueprint for My Life, Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide, God Brings Good Luck, A Valley Means a Wrong Turn, and Dead People Go to a Better Place.  These topics are all what the author refers to as "Spiritual Urban Legends" - it's just too bad there isn't a biblical snopes-dot-com.  Now, there is, in the form of 10 Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails