Monday, May 3, 2010

Our favorite vacation snacks

One thing that I absolutely love about the Disney parks is the fact that they allow you to carry in your own snacks.  They do check your coolers and bags, but they never say anything about carrying in drinks, snacks, and even sandwiches.  We’ve never been asked to remove anything from our bags.  And carrying in some (if not all) of your own snacks really saves a lot of money!

Here are just a few of my snack suggestions:

  • the little ones love fruit snacks (if I don’t have a coupon for the name brands, I always grab a big box of the Fruit Smiles at Wal-mart)
  • 4-pack or 6-pack crackers (our favorites are either cheese or peanut butter ones)
  • trail mix (my favorites are the ones that combine nuts and chocolate! m&m’s don’t melt in the sun!)  For this one, I always buy the big bags, then separate it out into snack-sized baggies. You get more and pay less this way!
  • nuts – we like various kinds.  I do the same thing with these – buy in larger quantities and then separate them into snack-sized  baggies.
  • cracker snacks like Cheez-Its
  • cookies (my little ones like the mini cookies in individual bags or the ones that are wrapped in packs of 4 or 6, like crackers)
  • water – this is a definite must!  If you forget this, you’ll be sorry.  The bottled waters in the parks are pricey.  We usually have a stroller with us, so carrying extra water bottles isn’t a problem. However, I’ve seen craft ideas to make your own water bottle carriers and I always think we need to try them.  Here’s one for the strap style.  If you’re more creative and have more time, you might prefer this one.
  • and, if your kids are like mine and  beg for anything but water to drink, the individual drink mixes (for 16 oz. water bottles) are great. Last year, I got extra frugal and bought the big tubs of kool-aide and premeasured it into baggies!

I can’t wait to hear your ideas.  Our paper count down chain is quickly getting shorter and it will soon be time to pack!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails