Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday Bliss 2010 – December 1st

The Gratitude Challenge ended yesterday.  It’s hard to believe that it’s already December 1st.  Today we’re starting a new blog-posting challenge.  It’s called Holiday Bliss.  Here are the rules for participating in this challenge:

To participate in this one, you can share favorite holiday recipes, crafts, traditions, things you do during the month, thoughts on Christmas or Hanukkah, pictures of your family during December, or just anything that has something to do with this blessed holiday season.  Since we are going through the entire month of December, the meme should lead us right up to the new year.  So don’t forget to include those holiday plans as well. 

The meme will be hosted by Brenda at Garden of Learning – so be sure to head to her blog each day and link up. 

I’m going to start off this meme by sharing about our Christmas tree - - - I grew up with an artificial tree, decorated with all white lights and all gold balls.  I thought it was the most beautiful tree in the world.  I rebelled when my mom wanted a change.  LOL

IMG_0031 Now, it’s years later, and I found myself in need of a Christmas tree change this year.  Here is what our tree has looked like for the past many years ===>

Last year, we strung the popcorn and cranberries and dried the citrus fruits; but all the other things are our “traditional” ornaments.  It’s been very “country” and “homey”.  Lots of rusty ornaments – bells, etc. and our star was even a rusty star.  I did not do it last year, but I’ve been known to even go outside and cut down weeds (otherwise known as “ornamental grasses”) and add them to our tree as well.  Over the years, I’ve gotten tons of compliments on the tree.

new camera testing 015 This year, though, I knew I needed a change.  We used to always get a real/live tree, and the past several years we’ve been using an artificial tree.  I definitely do not like the artificial as well; neither do the kids.  They’ve been fussing for a real tree again (OK, OK, I admit it – I have been too!)  Anyway, this year, I opted for some new, bright and cheery ornaments instead. 

It’s certainly not the country tree we’re used to.  (FYI: we have added a tree skirt since this picture was taken – gotta hide that ugly artificial tree stand!)  I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it when it was all said and done, but I am LOVING the change!  I think it was just what was needed around here.  The past few days have been rainy and ugly, and I’m facing my first Christmas without my friend Sue in my life – this tree brings joy into our house.  It makes me smile.  I feel perky when I look at those bright, shiny ornaments. 

I know it sounds silly to think Christmas tree decorations can set a tone; but it’s true! 

Looking at these pictures makes me note a few things about my house:

  • The dining room (seen behind the tree in both shots) – had a brand-new paint job and new curtains last year.  I’m still very much loving the new look in there!  That’s where the kids and I spend the majority of our time.
  • Though you can’t see it on the first picture, we’ve changed rugs in the living room this year.  You can just see the edge of it on the bottom picture.  It’s a braided rug – much more country than those ornaments – that’s for sure!  LOVE it too.  But, it makes it all the more obvious how much I need a new rug under my dining room table too.
  • The pictures hanging on the wall – beside the tree in both shots – are from LAST fall.  We took new ones this year, but I haven’t printed them out yet.  (UPDATE: I just ordered them  from Walmart.com and will pick them up at my local store later today!)  Phew!
  • I liked my tan/cream couch better without the cover.  But, it’s stained up and I don’t know a good way to get it clean.  Couch covers are a pain though.  Just sayin’. . .

Tell me about your Christmas tree!  I’d love to see pictures!  To join in on Holiday Bliss, just click the button above.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Your house looks so warm and inviting. :) I love both trees, but you are right, the different colors and ornaments really do set the tone!

Wendy Kaye said...

Both trees are lovely. And I will be sharing about our tree. In fact, today's Wordless Wednesday post is showing my daughter decorating this year's tree.... ;-)

SisterTipster said...

Love it~the old tree and new one~ also your dining room color/curtains...something about plaid...Did you make them? Looks GREAT~hugs!

Vickie said...

Love that rustic star on top of the first tree :) We use to always get a real tree. Then we added our family room to the house. The first Christmas in this room, the tree died within a week and that was watering it 2 or 3 times a day...doh! Heated floors and live plants sitting on the floor don't work so well. So we are on our 4th year with an artificial one BUT, because we have higher ceilings in this room, we can have a tall tall tree and it doesn't cost a fortune every year to get one this tall.

Prairiemaid said...

I love both trees, but you are right, the second one is "brighter". Your house is lovely.

Catherine said...

I love them both.. This year our ornaments are completely different, too. I have boxes of ornaments that are very sentimental, but with a new kitten, who loves climbing the tree, I had to make an emergency purchase of "shatterproof" balls, and some wire to wrap them firmly to the branches. They are all red and gold. It's very strange to look at.

I love the the dining room. It's so cheery!

Jennifer said...

It looks beautiful. So do the cheery yellow walls.

Related Posts with Thumbnails