Monday, February 7, 2011

miscellany monday 2/7/11

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

[one] someone recently told me that my blog and FB wall are too absorbed with Disney stuff.  Oh well – it is what it is, I guess.  I confess, though, that I am slightly obsessed.  My name is Heidi, and I’m addicted to Disney (planning, visiting, just the whole experience).  LOL  If you find that you, too, have an obsession with Disney, why not take part in our weekly Disney meme?

[two] we didn’t watch the Super Bowl last night.  We don’t have tv service.  Brian followed along online.  We did eat Super Bowl food though – pizza, chips, and dip.  After all, that’s the most important part of the evening, right?

[three] our church building project is almost complete – which means that it’s time to get the library open and running again.  If we can make some time this week, the kids and I may go and start sorting books – dividing adult stuff from kid stuff.  Anyone work with your church library?  Any advice/ideas are welcome!

[four] so last night, I was reading Ian a Bible story, and accidentally said “Santa” instead of “Satan”.  Gracie heard me and laughed hysterically.  Thing is, though, it got me to thinking --- if you take the “n” from the end of Satan and shift it two places to the left, you get Santa.  Hmmm . . . Does this disturb anyone else but me?

[five] I saw on FB that the Susan G. Komen foundation is suing other organizations who use the word “cure” in their catch-phrase.  I find this disturbing on many levels:

  • I understand that breast cancer is very serious.  It’s effected my family.  However, my best friend passed away after a battle with OVARIAN cancer last year.  I’d seriously like to see people showcasing the TEAL ribbon.  The world is overcome with pink, and there’s more out there than just breast cancer.  Just sayin’ . . .
  • Correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t the Susan G. Komen foundation be desirous of a CURE for ALL CANCER, as well as other still incurable diseases?  For Pete’s sake, what do they expect these other organizations to use in their catch-phrases?  I just did a search on thesaurus.com for synonyms for “cure” and, quite frankly, none of them really measure up. 
  • Aren’t they supposed to be using their money to find a CURE for breast cancer?  I’m thinking that suing all these other agencies is going to be costing them some big bucks, which seem to be would be much better used finding a CURE!
  • And just for future reference, in case anybody cares, I’ll be very careful where I’m putting my donation money from now on.  If you’re planning to walk for breast cancer, with proceeds going to Susan G. Komen, please don’t bother asking me for a donation.  Thanks!

[six] I’m not being facetious when I say that Heluva Good French Onion dip seriously rocks.  Even for breakfast.  LOL

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey Heidi!

I love your "new" blog! Did you do it yourself? I don't even try to re-do my blog without professional assistance! I'm afraid of what I might do to it. :P

Jodi said...

Ok, so I have so many comments for you: Here goes:

1) I love seeing your Disney stuff, it's cheery and makes me want to go back to Disney...soon!
2) When we didn't have TV, David followed along with the games online too. LOL Or...we listened on the radio during playoffs.
3) Never worked with the church library, but if I could choose that's where I'd wanna be. ;)
4) I agree - that is disturbing, just a bit! LOL!
5) I couldn't agree more. My mom died from non-smoking lung cancer. It is the deadliest cancer, but gets ignored because people think it's self-inflicted through smoking, um...not always! There is ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, and all kinds of other cancers that get ignored. I'm not saying breast cancer isn't important, I had my own scare last year...but it does get the most money. And, yes the money should go towards the CURE - not to sue people over stupid things.


Ok, I think I just hijacked your blog with my own post! (Sorry!!) LOL!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I couldn't agree more about the whole cancer/cure point. I lost my mother to ovarian cancer. So much focus is placed on breast cancer that one would think that it's the only cancer out there that needs research and a cure. And yes, I could go on, but I won't. ;)

If I haven't already said it, I love the new look of the blog. It is fun and cheery. :)

Christa said...

I need to chime in on the CURE! I know that all forms of cancer are different, but if they are taking someones life, then do we really need to point out that someone else is using a very common word? I mean, Komen Foundation didn't make this word up, and to my knowledge, it is not copyrighted. I lost an aunt to ovarian cancer 3 years ago - would love to see a CURE for that one. Oh, and what about everything else that is NOT cancer? Can we work on CURING those also? Let's start with LUPUS!

Kimberly Kovach said...

Figured out the Santa-Satan thing years ago. Have you also noticed the similarities to Christ and Santa. All-knowing, white hair, gives gifts, etc. Kinda weird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails