Monday, July 11, 2011

B90 Starts Again!

Bible-in-90-Days_july11 It’s here – TODAY!  The new session of the Bible in 90 Days, hosted by Mom’s ToolboxAre YOU reading along with us?

I’m a graduate of the B90 program (Summer ‘10 session) and am serving as a mentor for the 2nd time.  Last session, I didn’t read along.  I started to, thinking I could use a different Bible – so I started using the B90 reading plan with my ESV Study Bible.  I don’t normally think of myself as easily distracted – but I’m a researcher by nature, and those study notes were a HUGE distraction to me.  I couldn’t keep up.  So, this time, I’m going back to my Bible in 90 Days Bible. I love how this Bible is marked with where to start and stop each day; and there are very little notes or extra distractions.  I’d recommend it!


During last summer’s session, I shared my thoughts while reading through the Bible.  They’re far  from profound – they’re just the things that struck me as I was reading.  As I was reading today, I wondered how much different my thoughts might be this year.  I know that each person might see something very different as they are reading – God will put exactly what’s needed on each persons’ heart.  I’m not sure I’ll share all my thoughts this year. 
 
But since today is Day #1 and several things jumped out at me already, I thought I’d share:
 
  • Satan will use any means possible to keep us from reading!  I woke up early this morning and knew it was my sign to get up and start my Bible reading (up until this morning, I wasn’t 100% sure I was going to read along this session).  However, about 2/3 of the way through, Ian decided it was time for him to get up too.  He yelled at me to come upstairs, distracting me from my reading.  And it’s only Day 1! 
  • Ian wanted to start school last week and 2 of today’s verses are his Bible memory verses.  I just love hearing his little voice recite them.
    Gen. 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
    Gen. 1:31a “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.”
  • As I was reading the part about God creating Eve, this little clip by John Branyan popped into my mind.  Do you think God has a sense of humor?  I do.  And I think it’s important for us to laugh!  And as I was watching this, it also reminded me of how, as a woman, even when I’m reading my Bible, my brain is going in a million different directions.  Does that happen to you too?  Or is it just me?
  • I hate snakes!  I cannot even imagine being tempted to sin by a snake!  We took our youth group to see In the Beginning at Sight & Sound several years ago.  They depicted the serpent as a very large, shimmery creature with legs (of  course, he DID have legs at the time of Eve’s temptation).  I’m thinking that he must have been attractive to look at – otherwise, Eve would have turned her back on him and walked away, right?  What are the things that entice you and me to sin? 
  • Noah.  Yep, this first day of the reading schedule covers A LOT!  While reading the account of Noah, I was reminded of this (I was raised on the Statler Brothers, what can I say?!):
  • Today’s account ends with the story of Hagar.  Why is it that we women are always trying to take matters into our own hands?  When I read about Sarai and her “giving her maidservant” to Abraham, it angers me.  Yet, I think we do things like this all the time.  I know I’ve been guilty of not waiting on God’s timing for things – and it NEVER ends up happy when I do.  What about you?  Can you learn a lesson or two from Sarai’s impatience? 

All that from one day’s reading!  I promise that, if I do weekly check-ins, I won’t post this much each day! 

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I keep reading about B90 and I keep saying to myself, "Someday I'm going to do this." I have a couple friends in my church who have done it and they were really blessed by the experience! I think it's great you are being a mentor!

Related Posts with Thumbnails