Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Traveler’s Rest by Ann Tatlock

This week, the
Christian Fiction Blog Alliance
is introducing
Traveler’s Rest

Bethany House Publishers; Original edition (May 1, 2012)
by
Ann Tatlock

A YOUNG WOMAN determined to honor her commitment...

AN INJURED SOLDIER convinced life is no longer worth living...

A RETIRED DOCTOR certain it's too late to be forgiven...



Jane Morrow has a dilemma. She's engaged to Seth Ballantine, a member of the National Guard's 30th Heavy Brigade Combat Team, and he's returned from Iraq severely wounded. Jane hasn't seen him for nearly a year, and with trepidation, she heads to the VA hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, where he is being treated.

Seth isn't happy to see her. He'd asked her not to come. He wants to end the relationship. But Jane loves him, and despite his injury, she's determined to convince him that they can have a life together. Her faith has never been strong, yet she hopes God will answer her prayers and tell her what to do.

Beautifully written, Travelers Rest takes readers on a journey through pain and tragedy to a place of hope and redemption.

If you would like to read the first chapter of Traveler’s Rest, go HERE.

Ann Tatlock is the author of the Christy Award-winning novel All the Way Home. She has also won the Midwest Independent Publishers Association "Book of the Year" in fiction for both All the Way Home and I'll Watch the Moon. Her novel Things We Once Held Dear received a starred review from Library Journal and Publishers Weekly calls her "one of Christian fiction's better wordsmiths, and her lovely prose reminds readers why it is a joy to savor her stories." Ann lives with her husband and daughter in Asheville, North Carolina.

Heidi Says . . . Last year, I reviewed another of Ann’s books – Promises to Keep – which was the first book I had ever read by Ann Tatlock.  I wrote in that review that it certainly wouldn’t  be the last book I’d read  by her.  So, here we are, about 15 months later, with a review for Travelers Rest.

In my review from last year I mentioned 2 elements that really stood out to me about Ann’s book.  Now, after reading another of her books, I’m thinking these must be indicative of her writing style (and will totally draw me back to more of her work):

(1) Her characters are amazingly deep, yet simple to get to know and feel connected to.  In Travelers Rest, I was drawn to Jane, the main character.  She was placed in a position that was quite difficult, yet she handled it amazingly well (albeit NOT perfect – but REAL).  It was easy to imagine poor Seth – her fiance – and the struggles he must have been facing.  And Truman – just wow!  I’ve always loved establishing relationships with older people – they have the best stories to tell and lessons to learn.  Truman was a classic example of this – and I just love how he and Jane connected and formed such a great bond.  Jon-Paul – what a neat guy.  I could just imagine listening to him playing the piano.  

(2) The ending of the book is not necessarily what you might expect while reading it.  However, it’s the perfect ending. I actually did find myself kinda hoping  that the book would end the way it did – but I didn’t expect it. 

I need to get my hands on more books by this great author!  I’d highly recommend her work!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails