Tuesday, October 30, 2012

From Screen to Theme by Brent Dodge

If you’ve been a reader of my blog for any length of time, you probably know that I’m a sucker for any kind of Disney book.  Recently, I discovered a Disney book that I hadn’t yet read – From Screen to Theme by Brent Dodge.  I contacted Brent, and he graciously sent me a copy so that I could read it an share about it here on my blog!  And I’m so glad he did!

coverFrom Screen to Theme: A Guide to Disney Animated Film References Found Throughout the Walt Disney World® Resort is your guide to finding references to some of your favorite Disney animated films. Also within the book, you will find recaps of some of your favorite Disney animated films, fun facts, and helpful hints on where you can meet some of your favorite Disney characters.

Brent Dodge has been a self proclaimed “Disney nerd” his entire life. He has been visiting Walt Disney World since he was one, and after spending more than 600 days in the parks and reading up on everything Disney, he has become known as a Disney “expert” by family and friends. He continues to visit the parks multiple times a year and currently resides in Delafield, Wisconsin.

I have to say that I am just loving this book!  I love the format that Brent has chosen. . .

  • There is a separate section  for each animated movie.  So, for example, the first section is on “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves”.
  • The release date is listed.
  • Then there is a 3-paragraph summary of the film.
  • Following this basic information, the remainder of the section is divided up by parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom), Downtown Disney, and Resorts. 
  • There is a numbered list of everywhere within the Walt Disney World Resort that you see references to the movie. 
  • Scattered throughout these lists are my absolute favorite part of the book, which is the Fun Facts. These are little trivia tidbits and are very interesting!

This particular book goes from Snow White (1937) to Wall-E (2008). 

How can this book best be utilized?  That depends! 

  • You are more than welcome to read it through, from beginning to end!
  • You can skip around, according to your favorite films.
  • If you’re planning a trip, you may want to check out the specific characters from movies your kids are most into at the time and make a list of places you can find them in the parks.
  • You can carry the book with you and do a scavenger hunt, of sorts, while you’re vacationing!

These are just a few ideas – but the possibilities are endless!

If you’d like to see a sample of the book, you can download a chapter here.

I know that Brent has plans to add further books to this series – specifically one on Live Action references in Walt Disney World, and a Disneyland Version also.  I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting adding them to my collection!

From Screen to Theme is also on Facebook.  Be sure to “like” the page for updates.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails