Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How Can I Run a Tight Ship When I'm Surrounded by Loose Cannons by Kathi Macias

Paperback: 208 pgs
New Hope Publishers
Retail: $13.99
Release Date: February 1, 2009
ISBN-10: 1596692049
ISBN-13: 978-1596692046>

For all the Christian women in the world who dread reading Proverbs 31 and wonder who on earth could ever live up to that woman - this book is for you. Between dirty diapers, complaining children, housework, husbands and a multitude of other attention-grabbing detours women face, award-winning author and speaker, Kathi Macias finds a way to encourage and biblically instruct women of all ages and phases. Women everywhere are the glue that holds their families together. Keeping everything under control challenges even the most organized household CEO. Kathi uses humor, God's Word, as well as practical insight and instruction to lovingly encourage women to grow in this progression of grace.
Readers will find How Can I Run a Tight Ship When I'm Surrounded by Loose Cannons?: Proverbs 31 Discoveries for Yielding to the Master of the Seas, filled with scriptural explanations and journaling pages to process and write their personal feelings and prayers. With sections of the book focused on each step of the learning process to guide our ships to safe harbor, readers will be happily surprised to find the funny without the fluff. Kathi's words are the "spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down." Her vulnerable approach facilitates the teachings of Proverbs 31, making it easier for women to swallow. The truth of the scriptures is very much alive and well throughout the pages, yet the ease and charm of the author's words entice readers to press forward and embrace the plan for God's woman today.

Kathi Macias is a multi-award winning writer who has authored 26 books and ghostwritten several others. A former newspaper columnist and string reporter, Kathi has taught creative and business writing in various venues and has been a guest on many radio and television programs. Kathi is a popular speaker at churches, women's clubs and retreats, and writers' conferences. She recently won the prestigious 2008 member of the year award from AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association) at the annual Golden Scrolls award banquet. Kathi "Easy Writer" Macias lives in Homeland, CA, with her husband, Al, where the two of them spend free time riding their Harley.


So very different from Kathi's work of fiction that I reviewed on Monday!  Though I would almost always choose fiction over non-fiction, after reading this book I'd have to say that I would definitely choose Kathi's non-fiction in a hurry!  I really, really enjoyed this book!

First of all, the connection with ships and loose cannons was something that I could so totally relate to as I have been leading the TOS Homeschool Crew this past year.  With our logo and our tagline based on ship terms, this book was so totally up my alley and really made me sit back and think several times.

But, the best part about this book was the humor!  Kathi told candid stories of her life that made me literally laugh out loud!  So many of them were situations that I could closely relate to - things that happen to all of us, but we often don't turn them into humor.  If I've learned anything in this life, it's that often we just have to laugh (it's so much more fun than crying).

If you're in search of the perfect Proverbs 31 role model, or if you just want to BE the Proverbs 31 woman, I would definitely encourage you to pick up this gem of a book! 

To whet your whistle, here's an excerpt from the book:
I've always been a control freak who wanted everything to run smoothly--perfectly, actually. No bumps or surprises, just--well, a "tight ship," as they say. And somewhere along the line I got the idea that I could make that happen--if I just tried hard enough. I think it may have started when I first saw Superman on our family's black and white TV and wondered, Is there a Superwoman somewhere? When I put that question to the adults in my life, they smiled and patted me on the head and said, "I don't think so, dear." So I decided to sign up for the job--a reasonable if somewhat naïve aspiration for a six-year-old, not so reasonable and way beyond naïve at twenty-six. Two decades after the birth of my Superwoman dream, I was still running as fast as I could and getting nowhere. My twenty-year-old dream was going down for the count, and I was nearly at the point of throwing in the towel--and then I met Jesus.

What a difference! Now I could latch on to verses like "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and "All things should be done decently and in order"--biblical affirmations of my desire to do things right, to do things efficiently and effectively, to do things with power and authority. Finally I was invincible--in Jesus, of course. Now all I needed was a godly role model and I'd be on my way.

I began my search in earnest, reading through the Scriptures until I came to Proverbs 31. Eureka! There, at last, was the epitome of the Superwoman I'd been hoping to become since I was six years old. The perfect woman--perfect wife, perfect mother, perfect housekeeper, perfect entrepreneur--all rolled into one! Not only did her husband and children praise her, but God must have approved of her as well or He certainly wouldn't have included her as an example in the Bible. My dream was alive and well once again! At last I would be able to "get it all together," to win instead of fail, to run a tight ship, and to keep things under control. Life was good, and the future looked bright.There was only one problem. I hadn't figured on all the loose cannons rolling around the deck of my not-so-tight ship...



For more information: www.kathimacias.com
Follow the Blog: http://tightships.wordpress.com
Order the Book: www.newhopepublishers.com

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails