Monday, December 3, 2012

From Calm to Chaos: Day 3

If you haven’t read the first 2 posts in this series, you can do so here.

letitgo5days-3

On Day 3 of the challenge, Karen encourages us to think about (and evaluate) our traditions. I have to admit, this one is a bit of a toughie for me.  I tend to be very set in my ways when it comes to traditions.  I like things to be “the way they’ve always been”. 

For example, on my side of the family, we have always gotten together on Christmas Eve to exchange our gifts to one another (even after my 2 brothers and I were grown and gone, we continue to meet at my parents’ house each Christmas Eve – now with our own families).  A few years ago, my mom suggested doing something different from the “norm” – she wanted to go to Christmas Eve service at her church.  I really balked at that.  (In my defense, so did one of my brothers.) 

Now, several years later, as I see my oldest child starting to balk at straying from tradition, I feel guilty. Because, quite obviously, it’s my fault that she’s like this. 

And, let’s face it, we have to allow for some flexibility in our lives.  Things come up that will ultimately mess with our plans.  If we are so caught up in the plans and the traditions, we’ll be overly stressed and unable to adapt.  While, on the other hand, if we’re more flexible and open to the possibility of straying from tradition as needed, our holidays will be much less stressful – and, as a result, more fun and relaxing.

Karen shared about her Christmas card tradition and how she had to be flexible and make some changes.  I shared something similar yesterday.

She encourages us to reevaluate our traditions - poll our family to see what they like, dislike, or are neutral on – and then decide what needs to go or stay. 

I will say that – just in the past 3 days of participating in this challenge, I’ve already been feeling much better about holiday stress! 

“You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.”  ~Mark 7:8 (NIV 1984)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails